fb twitter yt

Garvey's SuperValu SHC Rd 2B :Ballyduff 2 - 20 Crotta 1-17 AET 2015-08-04 20:10:00

 The Garveys SuperValu SHC
Round 2B

Ballyduff 2 - 20 Crotta O'Neill's 1 - 17AET

In a tremendous championship encounter, Ballyduff edged out Crotta after extra time to qualify for the quarter finals of the 2015 Garvey's SuperValu Kerry co. senior championship.
Played at Lixnaw, where the arrangements were a tribute to the local club, the large attendance saw a full blooded encounter that went to extra time and where every player gave his all in the quest for victory.

In some ways it was a shoot out between the free takers, Bobby O'Sullivan (Ballyduff) and Shane Nolan (Crotta), but the game had much more than that. Crotta built up an early lead and were ahead by 4 points to 2 after just 7 minutes. As Ballyduff got into their stride, the sides matched point for point and at half time Crotta turned over marginally ahead, 9 points to 7.

In the 42nd minute a crucial goal for Ballyduff gave them the lead. It was rather fortuitous as a long delivery, feature of their second half tactics, dropped in the square and eventually went into the net off one of the Crotta defenders. O'Sullivan pointed a free to leave a 4 point gap, 1 - 12 to 1 points entering the last quarter.
However, Crotta refused to yield and they fought back doggedly. Nolan finished a 51st minute goal and Jordan Conway followed with a point to level. Things were still level at 1 - 15 each as the game entered added time.

A free was awarded to Crotta, from a difficult angle against the breeze. Shane Nolan stepped up to seek what would have been a winning score but his shot tailed agonisingly wide. The final whistle blew on the puck out and extra time beckoned.

Ballyduff gradually gained the upper hand during this period and outscored Crotta by 1 - 5 to 2 points. Again the high ball into the square by Ballyduff caused panic in the Crotta defence and it was rewarded immediately at the start of the second period when Gary O'Brien scored a superb goal. He pulled one handed on the sliothar in the air and it flew to the top corner of the net. Unstoppable! He was unlucky not to add another 2 minutes later but goalkeeper Richard Nolan made a brilliant reflex save. Ballyduff won eventually by 6 points but Crotta can count themselves unlucky not to have won in normal time. Crotta's long wait since 1968 for a senior championship continues while Ballyduff march on to meet Abbeydorney in the quarter final. Bhí Jason Mullins (Luimneach) mar réiteior sa chluiche.

Ballyduff: Bobby 0'Sullivan (0-11), Gary O'Brien (1-2), Mikey Boyle (0-2), Eoin Ross (0-1), Giles O'Grady (0-1), Aidan Boyle (0-1), Barry O'Grady (0-1), Thomas O'Rourke (0-1), Crotta own goal.
Crotta: Shane Nolan (1-11), Jordan Conway (0-3), Adrian O'Mahony (0-2), Philip Twomey (0-1).