fb twitter yt

Garvey's SuperValu SHC Rd 2A : Kilmoyley 2 - 10 Abbeydorney 0-6 2015-08-03 21:43:00

 Kilmoyley 2 - 10 Abbeydorney 0 - 6

Kilmoyley advanced to the semi-finals of the 2015 Garvey's SuperValu Kerry senior hurling championship with a 2 - 10 to 6 points win over Abbeydorney on Monday. Played in terrible wet and windy conditions at Ballyduff, Kilmoyley made the best use of a wind assisted first half to stamp their authority on the game and by half time were in a commanding lead and easily withstood the efforts of Abbeydorney to peg back the deficit.

In fact it took Abbeydorney all of 46 minutes to register their first score, a point from P.J. Keane. Meanwhile Kilmoyley had built up a substantial lead, with Seam Maunsell hitting their first point after 2 minutes. Robert Collins followed with another as Abbeydorney struggled to even get the ball beyond half way during the first quarter. A spectacular goal from Sean Young after 9 minutes, when he pulled in the air from 20 metres out was followed by another in much the same fashion from the same player on 14 minutes. This left Kilmoyley 2 - 2 to nil ahead and the signs looked ominous for Abbeydorney. A succession of points followed before half time, one from Robert Collins and 5 from his brother Daniel.
It was 2 - 8 to no score at the break.

Now wind assisted, the good attendance was expecting an Abbeydorney resurgence. The had a close in free after 32 minutes but the shot for goal, taken by goalkeeper Nigel Roche, was easily stopped and the play went upfield where Daniel Collins widened the gap with a pointed Kilmoyley free. Abbeydorney were reduced to 14 players shortly afterwards for a second yellow card offence and their efforts gradually petered out. Kilmoyley were well in control and by the time Abbeydorney opened their account, the result was a foregone conclusion. Daniel Collins wrapped up the Kilmoyley tally with a 48th minute free. Thereafter Abbeydorney did up their game somewhat and added 5 points before the finish, 3 from frees by substitute Ivan McCarthy, one from P.J. Keane and an excellent point from play from Kerry minor player, David Egan.
When referee, Cathal MacAllister, blew the final whistle there was a 10 point gap and Kilmoyley were safely through to join Lixnaw in the semi-finals. Abbeydorney have the consolation of reverting to the losers round of the competition.
Cill Mhaoile: Daniel Collins (0-6), Shaun Young (2-0), Robert Collins (0-2), Sean Maunsell (0-1), Jordan Brick (0-1).
Mainistir Ó dTórna: Ivan McCarthy (0-3), P.J. Keane (0-2), David Egan (0-1).