fb twitter yt

Munster Final ends in a draw: Kerry 2-15 Cork 3-12 2015-07-05 16:15:00

Kerry 2-15 Cork 3-12
The Munster Senior Final ended in a draw today in Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney in front of an attendance of 35,651.
The replay will take place on Saturday July 18th at Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney.

Kerry and Cork Play Out Thrilling Draw

By John Ivory

Kerry and Cork will have to meet again to decide who will be Munster football champions for 2015 after an enthralling 2-15 to 3-12 draw in Killarney.
Barry O’Driscoll’s goal in the 63rd minute put Cork one point ahead and Kerry spent the remaining time pushing for an equaliser. It came from an unlikely source as Fionn Fitzgerald serenely guided the ball over the bar with the last kick of the game to tie things up.

Cork started well and were four points up after 10 minutes thanks to a ’45 and a goal from corner forward Colm O’Neill. However, Kerry quickly went about clawing back the deficit and a free from marksman Bryan Sheehan sent them on their way.
The Kingdom would then cancel out Cork’s lead in one fell swoop as Johnny Buckley dispossessed Michael Shields close to goal and Captain Kieran Donaghy pounced to rifle to the roof of Ken O’Halloran’s net.
Kevin O’Driscoll and James O’Donoghue would exchange points before a patient Kerry move found Johnny Buckley in space and the Dr. Crokes man made no mistake to put Kerry in the lead for the first time, 1-03 to 1-02.
Donncha O’Connor converted a free to even things up after twenty minutes. Two minutes later Cork’s Paul Kerrigan was black carded for a foul on Stephen O’Brien and replaced by Paddy Kelly. Sheehan (2) and O’Neill increased their personal tallies from placed balls before Barry John Keane got his name on the score sheet with a well-earned individual effort.
After thirty minutes, the home side held a two point advantage and had ‘keeper Brendan Kealy to thank for preserving that lead as he made a brilliant save from Cork’s Barry O’Driscoll. Peter Crowley was on hand to clean things up and he had a very good first half making several important interventions.
Two fine scores from play within a minute of each other from Keane and O’Donoghue increased the Kingdom’s lead to four. Keane (f) and O’Connor swapped points before the interval to leave Kerry ahead, 1-09 to 1-05.

The second period started much the same as the first with Colm O’Neill converting a free in the opening minute. Once again, Kerry responded well and Donnchadh Walsh raised a white flag.
Cork struck for goal a second time on 38 minutes with Donncha O’Connor flicking the ball over the onrushing Kealy into an empty net. Cork now trailed by just a point and things got worse for Kerry moments later when David Moran was black carded and replaced by Anthony Maher.
Colm Cooper’s introduction eight minutes into the second half raised the biggest cheer of the afternoon and Kerry looked to push on for victory. Cork did not wilt and two more O’Neill points had the Rebels 2-08 to 1-10 ahead.
Points from two of Cork’s O’Driscoll contingent – Kevin and Barry had them a goal ahead ten minutes into the second half, but a creative overhead hand pass from Walsh found Bryan Sheehan in space who made no mistake pointing from in front of the stand, his fourth of the afternoon.
O’Neill tried his best to quieten things down with a point, but Kerry were undeterred and when James O’Donoghue was fouled in the penalty area, he himself would have the opportunity to tie the scores up once more.
He duly provided a slick finish to the Cork net and sent O’Halloran diving the wrong way. Kerry were in the ascendency now and with fifteen minutes left Marc O’Sé sent a long ball to Colm Cooper who evaded his defender and sent the ball sailing between the posts to put Kerry ahead once again.
Substitute Paul Geaney pointed after an O’Connor free to restore Kerry’s lead and when Anthony Maher fisted over Kerry were two ahead with just under ten to play, 2-14 to 2-12.
However, when Cork wing back Barry O’Driscoll goaled with seven minutes remaining Kerry found themselves one point down and staring defeat in the face. The final minutes were frantic and littered with stoppages and bookings.
When Paul Geaney gathered a breaking ball close to goal he looked to have a chance to snatch victory but his goal shot was deflected out for a 45’. Both teams passed up scoring chances from 45’ metre kicks before the unflappable Fitzgerald popped up to bring the game to a replay.
Final score Kerry 2-15 to Cork’s 3-12.

Scorers - Kerry: J O'Donoghue 1-2 (1-0 pen), B Sheehan 0-4 (3fs), K Donaghy 1-0, BJ Keane 0-3 (1f),F Fitzgerald, J Buckley, D Walsh, C Cooper, A Maher, P Geaney all 0-1 each.
Cork: C O'Neill 1-6 (0-3fs, 0-1 45), D O'Connor 1-3 (0-2fs), Barry O'Driscoll 1-1, K O'Driscoll 0-2.
Kerry: B Kealy; S Enright, F Fitzgerald, M O Se; K Young, P Crowley, J Lyne; D Moran, B Sheehan; S O'Brien, J Buckley,D Walsh; BJ Keane, K Donaghy, J O'Donoghue. Subs: A Maher for Moran BC (43), C Cooper for O'Brien (43), D O'Sullivan for Buckley (47), P Geaney for Keane (50), J Sherwood for Sheehan (60), P Murphy for Crowley (66).
Cork: K O'Halloran; S Cronin, E Cadogan, J Loughrey; Brian O'Driscoll, M Shields, Barry O'Driscoll' A O'Connor, K O'Driscoll; P Kerrigan, M Collins, F Goold; C O'Neill, D O'Connor, B Hurley. Subs: P Kelly for Kerrigan (22), C Dorman for Cronin (59), R Deane for Goold (60), D Goulding for D O'Connor (61), C O'Driscoll for Hurley (66)
Attendance: 35,651.
Pádraig Hughes (Armagh)
Note: The replay is fixed for Fitzgerald Stadium on Saturday 18th at a time to be decided tomorrow Monday.

Click here for some photos from Munster Final

Click here for match report from GAA.IE
Click here for match report from RTE.IE

Kerry Senior Football Team V Cork Munster Final 2015

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Cork in the Munster Football Championship final in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney on Sunday shows 5 changes in personnel from the side that defeated Tipperary in the semi-final. Colm Cooper is among those who lose their place as the Kerry management make changes in all lines of the field with the exception of the half back line which remains intact with Jonathan Lyne, who made his full championship debut against Tipperary, retaining his place despite the return from injury of Paul Murphy who is however included among the substitutes.

Changes see Fionn Fitzgerald comes into the full back line in place of Mark Griffin, fit again David Moran resumes at midfield in place of Anthony Maher, Stephen O’Brien and Donnchadh Walsh are named in the half forward line in place of Michael Geaney and Colm Cooper and in the full forward line, James O’Donoghue replaces Paul Geaney.

The team, captained by Kieran Donaghy is as follows:
1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
2. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
3. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
4. Shane Enright Tarbert
5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
7. Killian Young Renard
8. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
9. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
13. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
14. Kieran Donaghy (C) Austin Stacks
15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
Fir Ionaid
16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
17. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
18. Anthony Maher Duagh
19. Paul Geaney Dingle
20. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
21. Michael Geaney Dingle
22. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
23. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
24. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
25. Jack Sherwood Firies
26. Paul Murphy Rathmore

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
Róghnóirí: Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle), Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks), Cian O’Neill (Moorefield, Kildare)

Additional Information:

Additional Squad Members
Paul Galvin Finuge
Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
Philip O’Connor Cordal
Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes (Recovering from an Achilles Tendon Injury)

Substitutes Bench
The Kerry substitutes bench contains five players who started against Donegal in last year’s All Ireland Final – Brian Kelly, Aidan O’Mahony, Paul Murphy, Anthony Maher and Paul Geaney.

Marc Ó Sé - Marc Ó Sé will play his 82nd Championship game for Kerry on Sunday thus surpassing his brother Darragh with whom he currently shares 81 Championship appearances for The Kingdom. Their other sibling, Tomás, played 88 championship games for Kerry which is a record.
Colm Cooper is in 4th position in the all time Kerry Championship appearances list on a mere 77!

The Lynes of Cleeney
- A link with Sunday’s game
The Lynes of Cleeney, within earshot of the Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney, are a very well known footballing family who played their Club Football with Killarney Legion. Denny, Jackie and Fr Mickey all won All Irelands with Kerry at senior level – and Denny captained Kerry in the Polo Grounds final in ’47, a game in which Jackie also played. Jackie went on to train Kerry to 2 All Ireland titles in ’69 and ’70. Their sister, Maura, married Tom Spillane and was of course mother of Pat, Mick and Tom of Kerry Golden Years fame - Sunday’s No. 5 Jonathan Lyne is a grandson of Denny Lyne. Jonathan, who made his Championship debut against Clare in 2012, and made his full championship debut against Tipperary in this year’s semi final, started in all of Kerry’s seven AFL games this season.

Click Here for Everything you need to know about Kerry V Cork in Munster Championships down through the years.
Click Here for Interesting Stats on Cork V Kerry
Click Here for Interview with Eamon Fitzmaurice on The Importance of a Strong Squad, Not underestimating the Rebels and that the squad id fit and ready for Sunday.
Click here for Interview with Killian Young