fb twitter yt

SENIOR COUNTY FOOTBALL LEAGUE Div 4 Round 2 2014-03-29 11:26:00

Churchill 4-10 Ballyduff 1-08

For the second week in a row, Ballyduff went into this game minus the county hurlers who are preparing for a Division 2 final on Sunday next. Ballyduff started brightly with a point from a free by Barry O’ Grady. Churchill replied with point by Daniel Doyle and Barry Dillon. An expertly taken penalty by Kevin O’ Connor, after Sean Browne was fouled, put Ballyduff ahead at the end of the first quarter. Churchill hit back with four points in a row, Doyle, Parker, Dillon and Fitzgerald, left them leading by two points, but points from a Barry O’ Grady free and Pat Joe Connolly from play, left the teams level at half time. Half-time score:Ballyduff 1-04 to Churchill 0-7

Churchill upped the tempo early in the second half and goals by Parker, Fitzgerald and O’ Brien (2), put the game beyond Ballyduff who could only manage 4 points, O’ Grady 2 from frees and Pat Joe Connolly 2 from play. A feature of the game was that all of Churchill’s scores came from play. 
Final Score Churchill 4-10, Ballyduff 1-08.

Castlegregory 2-12 Cromane 0-09

It was a reversal of fortunes from Round 1 for both these teams in Castlegregory on Sunday. Castlegregory dominated the first half, with Alan Fitzgerald making the most of their chances by kicking six points, their other scores coming from Shane Hennessy and two from Anton Kelleher. Cromane struggled to match the intensity of the home side; their scores came from Sean O’Sullivan, Michael Shaughnessy and Mike Teahan.

Half-time Castlegregory 0-09, Cromane 0-04.

After the break, Cromane did win the early exchanges and with three early scores, one from Paul O’Sullivan, and two from Sean O’Sullivan, they narrowed the gap to two points. Just when it looked that the game was slipping away, Castlegregory staged an attack that ended with Anto Kelliher finishing the ball to the net. This turned the game again and Castle pulled away with further points from Anton Kelliher and wing back Gavin O’Connor. Liam Maunsell was fouled going through and Alan Fitzgerald added a second goal from the resulting penalty. Cromane had one final attack before the final whistle, but Castlegregory keeper Shane Kenny made a fine save to deny the visitors.
Final score Castlegregory 2-12, Cromane 0-09.

Castlegregory- Shane Kenny, Nicholas Fitzerald, Gearoid Fitzerald, Padraig Rohan, Gavin O Connor (1pt), Joe Scully, Colm Sills, Adam O Donnell, Joe O Connor, Shane Hennessy(1pt), Colm O Mahoney ,Colm O Connor, Anton Kelliher(3), Alan Fitzerald (7pt), Maurice James Fitzerald. Subs: Kealen Dowling , Enda Whealan, Niall Mahoney, Liam Maunsell, Brandon Hoare.

Cromane: Paudie McMahon,Liam Tehan, Sean Tehan, Aaron Clifford, Finbar Casey, Mike Houlihan, David Moroney, Liam Walsh, Mike Tehan,Michael Saughnessy, Darren Ahern, Paul O Sullivan, Sean O Sullivan, Enda O Shea.

Cordal 3-11 Fossa 3-07

Currow was the venue for an action packed encounter between Cordal and Fossa. The game started at high tempo, with Fossa firing a goal right into the roof of the net. This was enough for Cordal to kick into gear, with Cordal knocking up 1-07 without reply, the inside forward line doing most of the damage, with Donal McCarthy scoring the goal. Fossa fought back with a couple points before being awarded a penalty, seeing Cordal’s corner back, Chris Myers, black carded, followed up after Sean Og O Ciardubhain saved the initial penalty. All square 1-07 to 2-04 at the break. 

The second half started brightly again, with both sides trading scores equally. Cordal's Niall O Ciardubhain found the net before Fossa were awarded a second penalty and Lorcan Daly made no mistake this time to tie the game yet again. Cordal raised their game once more, with points coming from Eamon John O’Donoghue and Phil O’Connor. Fossa went a man down for a high challenge either side of the scores. With the game in the melting pot, Cordal finished the better, with Phil Griffin pointing and Phillip O Connor finding the net, right at the death, after a fantastic team move. Full-time after a cracking game, Cordal 3-11 to Fossa 3-07.

Cordal Team: Sean Og O Ciarduhain, Tomas Brosnan, Jamie Cahill, Flor Griffin, Billy Cronin, Johnny O Connor (0-1), Daniel O Connor, Eamon J O Donoghue (0-1), John Brosnan, Mike Flynn, Phillip Griffin (0-2), Padraig Dignan (0-1), Phillip O Connor (1-5), Donal McCarthy (1-0), Niall O Ciarduhain (1-1)
Fossa Tea: Colin Myers, Derry O Sullivan, Anthony Wharton, Kevin McCarthy, Mark Dennehy, Kevin O Sullivan, Dan O Sullivan, Fintan Coffey, Paddy Sheehan, Paudie Clifford, David Osterlish, Micheal O Neill, Dara Rice, Lorcan Daly, Chris Myers 

Knocknagoshel 1-9 Na Gaeil 1-13

Diarmuid Herlihy, whose father gave long playing service to Knocknagoshel, opened the scoring in this division 4 encounter with a point for Na Gaeil. It was to be followed by 3 points from Darragh Carmody, two from play and one from a free, to give Na Gaeil a 4 point lead after 15 minutes. Knocknagoshel introduced Edmund Walsh who hadn't started the game due to injury and he kicked their only point of the first half from a 50 yard free. Darragh Carmody had two further points to leave the half time score 0-6 to 0-1 in favour of the visitors.

The second half was a close affair, with points traded and two goals in the space of a minute on either side. Na Gaeil goaled through Darragh Carmody and this was followed by a palmed goal from Kieran Downey for Knocknagoshel, after Edmund Walsh cut in along the end line. Knocknagoshel were always chasing the first half deficit, as both sides had further points. Jamie Lohan, Darragh Carmody, David Culloty and Mike Griffin all got on the scoreboard for the visitors while Edmund Walsh and James Walsh replied for the home side. The final score was Knocknagoshel 1-9 NaGaeil 1-13

Beale 4-14 Firies 0-5

Beale secured the points against Firies in Ballybunion in the second round of Division 4. The youthful Firies team proved no match for the sea-siders, but it is true to say that the half time score of Beale 2-9, Firies 0-2 did not reflect play on the field, as both teams gave a good display of footballing skills in the opening twenty minutes. The game was played in ideal conditions, with the sun shining and a cross field breeze favouring Firies in the first half. However Beale were the dominant force throughout and superb high fielding by mid fielder, Ger O’Gorman controlled the play, while Jeremy King’s forward surging movements culminated in three splendid points. Accurate free-taking and scoring by William Courtney kept Firies in contention in the early stages of the game. 

Firies battled hard, but were no match for the fitter Beale side in the second half, as Beale eased to a 4-14 to 0-05 finish. Some great passages of play by Firies were denied by the woodwork and superb goal-keeping by Joe Downey. Teamwork and direct football won the game for Beale. The ever-versatile Declan Bambury was instrumental in the Beale attack while the whole defence held firm. William Courtney was dominant for Firies, while James O’Donoghue and Dan O’Shea worked hard to keep the Beale tide at bay. 
Final score: 4-14, Firies 0-05. 

Beale team:
 Joe Downey, Philly Blake, Colm Kissane, Cormac Walshe, Shane Joy, Paul Collins, Pádraig Murphy, Ger O’Gorman, Jeremy King, Declan Bambury, James McMahon, Jake O’Connell, Ian Mannix, Tom Joy, Barry O’Mahony.

Firies team: Bill O’Rourke, Josh Flynn, James O’Donoghue, Dan O’Shea, Alan Looney, John O’Mahoney, Stephen O’Mahoney, Ian Crowley, Pádraic de Brún, Edward Kerrisk, Donal Daly, William Courtney, Dan O’Connor, Colm O’Shea, Mike Johnson. 

Ballylongford 0-12 Beaufort 0-14

Ballylongford lost out to Beaufort in round two of the Credit Union County League, played at O Rahilly Park Ballylongford in ideal conditions. Both sides were guilty of poor shooting in the early stages, until Francis Courtney opened the scoring with a point for Beaufort in the 8th minute. A good run up field from wing back Stephen Foley had the sides level by the 11th minute. Ballylongford were now getting on top at mid field, where Kenneth Sheehy was outstanding for them throughout, setting up the attack where Kieran Mulvihill and Liam Mc Carthy profited the most. Beaufort, on the other hand, were very successful with the short kick out and built from the back to set up Ronan Murphy and Francis Courtney for some excellent points, to leave them just a point behind at half time 0-07 to 0-06.

Ballylongford managed to go two points ahead by the third quarter, with some fine free taking from Kieran Mulvihill. Beaufort moved Ronan Murphy from full forward to mid field, where he had an immediate impact and the sides were level by the 20th minute. Despite their best efforts, Ballylongford failed to raise a flag in the final ten minutes. Beaufort profited from running the ball out of defence, to finish out a close battle with a point apiece, from Ronan Murphy and James Coffey in the 26th and 27th minute respectively, to leave the final score Ballylongford 0-12 Beaufort 0-14.

Ballylongford: Shane O’Sullivan, Mossy Kenrick, Michael Mc Ellistrim, Padraig O’Neill, Liam McElligott, Eamon McElligott, Stephen Foley 0-1, Kenneth Sheehy, Steve Carmody, Jason Deegan 0-1, Kieran Mulvihill 0-6, Liam McCarthy 0-3, Kieran O’Connor0-1, Ray O’Sullivan, Matt O’Connor, Subs Paudie Moroney for Ray O’Sullivan injured, William Keane for Padraig O Neill injured, Tom Kennedy for Matt O’Connor, Brendan Bambury for Paudie Moroney.

Beaufort: Mike Moriarty, Michael O’Connor, Ger Hartnett, Padraig Hartnett, Sean Fogarty, Jeremiah O’Sullivan, Eanna O’Malley, James Coffey 0-4, Fergal Hallissey 0-1, James O’Reilly 0-1, Francis Courtney 0-4, Padraig O Sullivan, Jason Foley, Ronan Murphy 0-4, Conor Breen, Shane O’Sullivan for Michael O’Connor injured.
Referee Mike Joy Ballyduff.