fb twitter yt

SENIOR FOOTBALL COUNTY LEAGUE Div 3 Round 2 2014-03-29 11:15:00

Ardfert 3-09 Ballymac 1-08

The breeze was mainly across the field, but it favoured Ballymac in the first half. Ballymac got off to a great start, when Luke Sweeney was fouled in the square and were awarded a penalty. Padraig McCarthy drove this over the bar to open the scoring. He followed quickly with another good score from play. Darren Wallace opened Ardfert's scoring, following a great catch by Eamonn Corridon. The game was very even, with both teams exchanging scores. Cian Counihan was having a great game for Ballymac, but unfortunately for him, he was yellow carded for not wearing a gum shield. This was followed by another yellow, which meant he was sidelined. Aidan Breen and Cian Hussey exchanged points. Padraig McCarthy scored another from a free, but David Griffin replied with a point from play for Ardfert. Ardfert then scored a goal. This was after a great ball along the end line from Mairtin Ferris, which found Shane Griffin, who booted it to the net. Ballymac, however responded from the kick out. Con Reynolds fielded the ball and ran through the Ardfert defence, to kick the ball to the back of the Ardfert net. The score was now Ardfert 1-03 Ballymac 1-04. Con scored another point, which was Ballymac's last score of the half. Ardfert hit a purple patch, Darren Wallace scored from play and Damien Wallace scored from a free kick. Ardfert then scored goal number two. Mairtin Ferris fielded the ball and ran towards goal. He was fouled and Mike Moloney goaled from the penalty spot. David Griffin got the last score of the half. Half time score Ardfert 2.06 Ballymac 1.05.
Ardfert kept their lead in the second half and were first to score. Mairtin Ferris took a quick 45 to Darren Wallace, who kicked the ball over the bar. Padraig McCarthy scored from a free for Ballymac, and Luke Sweeney got another from play. Ardfert, however, replied with points from David Griffin and Mairtin Ferris. Ardfert were then awarded another penalty, again following a foul on Mairtin Ferris. Mike Moloney scored this. Padraig McCarthy got the last score of the game with a point from a free for Ballymac. Cian Counihan was a big loss to Ballymac and they also lost their wing forward Alan Bonn to injury.

Glenflesk 0-15 Brosna 0-15

Glenflesk and Brosna played out an entertaining draw before a good crowd in Glenflesk on Saturday evening, with both sides finishing on 0-15 points a piec. Glenflesk, playing with a slight breeze in the first half, had the better of the opening half and led by three points at the break. The point scoring of Tom McGoldrick, Dave Curtin and Patrick O’Keeffe kept Brosna in touch. Half time Score Glenflesk 0-10 Brosna 0-07.

The second half was very evenly contested, with both sides exchanging points in the early stages and a fantastic score from Brosna’s Dan McAuliffe a highlight. Glenflesk still led by four points with 20 minutes gone, and looked like they might have done enough to win. However, Brosna started to secure more possession around the middle of the field, and four unanswered points from Timmy Finnegan, Tom McGoldrick (2) and the equaliser from Mike Finnegan, saw them share the spoils. 

Templenoe 1-12, Dromid 2-10

Dromid held out for a one point victory, in an exciting match played in pleasant conditions in Templenoe on Saturday evening. Templenoe had the better start, and scores from Adrian Spillane (2), Patrick Palmer and Gavin Crowley, saw the home side open a three point lead after ten minutes. Dromid's opening score was pointed by Gearoid O'Sullivan, but this period saw two great saves by the Dromid goalie, Dan Curran, to keep Templenoe goal-less.
Both teams swapped points, and on the 17th minute, a long ball found Declan O'Sullivan unmarked, who rounded the goalie and finished to an empty net, for Dromid's opening goal. Templenoe responded quickly, and a well worked move resulted in a goal by Adrian Spillane to restore Templenoe's lead. The score after 20 minutes was Templenoe 1-06, Dromid 1-02.
Gavin Crowley added another point for Templenoe, but Dromid kept in touch with scores from Thomas Curran and Declan O'Sullivan. The last score of the half came Templenoe's way. Half time score Templenoe 1-08, Dromid 1-02

Churchill 4-07 Beaufort 1-12

Churchill played Beaufort in the Spa on Sunday. Beaufort played with the aid of a strong wind in the first half and raised in to a goal lead in the first minute, after a mix-up by the Churchill defence, Padraig O’Sullivan put the ball in the net. Churchill replied with two goals and a point by the 6th minute, with the goals coming from Mike O’Brien and Cillian Fitzgerald. Fergus Courtney added a point for Beaufort and then Benny Dillion converted a 45 for Churchill. Beaufort then got four unanswered points, before Dillon got a free to leave Churchill ahead by 2-03 to 1-05 at half-time. 

Dillon scored two more points in the opening five minutes, from a free and a 45. D. Healy and F. Courtney got two points back for Beaufort, to leave the score Churchill 2-05 to Beaufort 1-07. Beaufort added five more points before the finish, but Churchill were to strike for 2-02 in the last five minutes, with the goals coming from Fitzgerald from a penalty and Dillon from play, to leave the final score Churchill 4-07 Beaufort 1-12.

Beale 1-09 Cromane 0-10.

This game, played in Cromane, was very close and exciting. Cromane were first to score in the second minute with a point from Sean O’Sullivan. This was cancelled out by a free by James McMahon of Beale. Cromane had to wait for twelve minutes for a point from Sean O’Sullivan, which was followed by another point from a free, also from Sean. Beale then had a point from Tom Joy. Cromane took the lead again with another point from play by Sean O’Sullivan. Beale kicked five unanswered points, one from wing back Shane Joy, a point by Declan Bambury, and three points from frees by James McMahon. Cromane, in the closing stages of the first half, had a point from play by Sean O’Sullivan, but Beale replied with a point from Declan Bambury. Cromane had the last score of the first half with a point from Emmet Casey from play. This left the half time score Beale 0-08, Cromane 0-06. Cromane lost three of their players in the first half through injury.

In the second half Cromane dug deep and kicked four unanswered points to take the lead. Two points from Sean O’Sullivan frees and another from play by Sean. Beale had their first point after 25 minutes of the first hal,f from a side line kick by James McMahon. This left two points between the sides when Beale scored the only goal of the game, with four minutes remaining, which was scored by Daniel Ellis. Final score Beale 1-9. Cromane 0-10. 

Firies 6 -11 Ballyduff 1 - 08

Firies got the dream start against an under strength Ballyduff, with two goals within the first three minutes scored by Stephen Foley and Ed Kerrisk. The lead was further increased with a goal by Sean Burke before half time, to leave the score 3-06 to 0-01. 

Ballyduff came back fighting in the second half scoring 1-07. The goal came from Anthony O'Carroll, but Firies scored another three goals in the second half, from Jack Sherwood, William Courtney and Padraig O'Sullivan. Firies ran out convincing winners in a one-sided contest on a score line of 6-11 to 1-08.

Castlegregory 2-13 Fossa 0-09

After fifteen minutes, Castlegregory led 2-02 to 0-02. Castlegregory’s goals came from Alan Fitzgerald (a penalty) followed by a Liam Maunsell goal from play in the 11th minute. Half- time score Castlegregory 2-08 Fossa 0-05. At 45 Minutes, Castlegregory 2-10 Fossa 0-07. Shane Kenny made a brilliant save from Lorcan Daly penalty in the 27th minute of second half. Final score Castlegregory 2-13, Fossa 0-9.

Knocknagoshel 2-14 Ballylongford 2-09.

Knocknagoshel gained their first brace of points in division 4, with a hard fought victory over Ballylongford in Willie Walsh Park on Sunday. Bally opened the scoring with a pointed free from Joe McCarthy, but Knocknagoshel had the next three scores in a row from both midfielders, a Shane O'Connell goal and two James Walsh points. Ciaran O'Connor replied with a point for Bally before Kieran Long got on the end of a well worked move, to rifle to the net for Knocknagoshel. Knock were well on top at this stage, but failed to capitalise on chances and allowed Ballylongford back in to the game, with a goal from Stephen Carmody. Joe McCarthy added a point, before Edmund Walsh took back the initiative for Knock with two fine points from play. Ballylongford had three points in a row from play, to keep them in touch before half time. Half time score was 2-06 to 1-07 in favour of the home side. 

Knocknagoshel upped the tempo early in the second half and had seven points to Ballylongford's one, to put them well clear on the scoreboard. Bally never threw in the towel and tried hard to create goal chances. Danny Walshe pulled off a fine save in goal for Knock, from a Stephen Foley shot. A foul on substitute, Ray O'Sullivan, in the square gave Ballylongford a penalty, which Ciaran O'Connor tucked away and it was followed by a pointed free by Joe McCarthy. Edmund Walsh pointed from play for Knocknagoshel, to see them win on a scoreline of 2-14 to 2-09.