fb twitter yt

Senior County Football League Division 2 Round 10 2014-10-04 09:44:00

Laune Rangers 5-10, Skellig Rangers 0-11

The Rangers of Killorglin & Portmagee faced off in JP O’Sullivan Park on Satuday afternoon in perfect football conditions. Skellig Rangers got off to the brighter start and long range points from County Junior Star Ciaran Keating (3) as well as Alan Devane had the visitors ahead after 10 minutes. A Mike Frank Russell free kick got the Laune Rangers off the mark, but Brian Hickey was quick to cancel it out to put his side into a 0-5 to 0-1 lead after 15 minutes. Laune Rangers were much better in the 2nd quarter though, & Shane McSweeney continued his goalscoring habit with a super individual effort to find the net. McSweeney followed this up with a point following good work by Michael O’Sullivan & Pa Joy. John O’Shea kicked a long range point himself & added a free shortly after before the evergreen Russell kicked a 45 at the stroke of half time. The score at the break was Laune Rangers 1-5, Skellig Rangers 0-5.
Laune Rangers came out fighting after the break and, two minutes into the second half, Pa Joy picked up the ball near the left corner flag and set out on a mazy run towards goal, beating defenders before rounding the keeper and finishing to the net. Ciaran Keating then increased his personal tally with three more points (two from frees) which was replied to by John O’Shea with a free of his own. O’Shea then added a point from an acute angle to put Laune Rangers 2-7 to 0-8 ahead with 15 minutes remaining. The final quarter was dominated by the Killorglin men. John Tyther had a tap-in goal after some pinball action between player and goalposts inside the small rectangle before Shane McSweeney added two more points to his own tally to effectively end the game as a contest with 10 minutes remaining. More fine work from McSweeney found Pa Joy, who was fouled just inside the large rectangle & Ryan Keane dispatched the penalty with ease. Skellig Rangers substitute Mikey Keating kicked two points & veteran Stephen O’Sullivan added another in the closing stages but John O’Shea finished Laune Rangers’ fifth goal of the day to the net and Pa Joy almost kicked another only for his attempt to blast over the bar. Final score from Killorglin: Laune Rangers 5-10, Skellig Rangers 0-11.
The scoreboard didn’t necessarily do justice to the visitors who had started so well. The veteran trio of Aidan O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Sullivan & Brian Hickey – who have a dozen County Championship medals between them – never stopped working and the Kerry Junior star Ciaran Keating’s individual tally of 6 points (4 from play) would impress in most games. However Laune Rangers will be very happy with the performance ahead of next week’s County Quarter final. Michael O’Sullivan at wing back impressed while Shane McSweeney put in his usual excellent performance & Pa Joy created havoc in the Skellig defense with every possession. John O’Shea’s tally of 1-4 included 2 excellent points from play & the Laune Rangers management must have been delighted with his performance and the overall team display.
Laune Rangers: Tony Lyons, Keith Sheehan, Johnny Carey, Kieran Crowley, Ryan Keane (1-0), Chris Riordan, Michael O’Sullivan, Shane Daly, Padraig Murphy, Maurice Foley, Shane McSweeney (1-3), John Tyther (1-0), John O’Shea (1-4), Pa Joy (1-1), Michael F Russell (0-2). Subs used: Colm O’Shea, Shane O’Connor, Kevin O’Sullivan, David Costello, Tadhg Curran, Aaron Gamble.
Skellig Rangers: Padraig O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Sullivan, Seamus O’Sullivan, Gerard O’Sullivan, Brian Murphy, Bernard Walsh, Brian O’Sullivan, Aidan O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Sullivan (0-1), Martin O’Sullivan, Brian Hickey (0-1), Alan Devane (0-1), Michael O’Sullivan, Ciaran Keating (0-6), Diarmuid Keating. Subs Mikey Keating (0-2), Kevin Martin, Bernard Casey, Brendan Murphy, Daniel O’Sullivan, Sean Courtney.

Killarney Legion 1-6, Spa 3-11
Legion lost their home game to a much more determined Spa side and at the same time gave up their 100% county league record .Spa were the livelier team throughout but it was only in the last quarter that they drove home their supremacy. The halftime score was 1-07 v 1-03 to Spa and a strong second half saw them deservedly pull away to win on a 3-11 v 1-06 scoreline, Spa sealing victory with a late goal by Kerry minor captain Liam Kearney.

Tarbert 3-8, Castleisland Desmonds 1-10

Played in Shannon Park, Tarbert were off the mark first with points from Ger O’Sullivan and John Kelleher before Desmonds broke up the field and centre back Niall Mitchel rattled the Tarbert net and quickly followed with an excellent point by Pat Fitzgerald. The game was tight throughout the first half with both sets of backs doing well and the score at half time was Tarbert 1-4 Desmonds 1-5.
Ger O’Sullivan brought the home side level and was brought down for a penalty after ten minutes which he duly converted to put Tarbert in the driving seat. Desmonds introduced Kieran Brennan who got a quick point. A great solo effort by Micheal Normile put Tarbert up 2-7 to 1-7 entering the final ten minutes. With Shane Enright and Paddy O’Connell marshalling their defence well another opportunist goal by hat trick seeker Ger O’Sullivan put the game beyond Desmonds reach. Desmonds however never gave up and scored two quick points to reduce the deficit to four entering the final minutes. With Desmond going for goals Tarbert broke up the field with Kevin Wren making right call to take his point to seal the game for Tarbert. Full time: Tarbert 3-8, Castleisland Desmonds 1-10.

Gneeveguilla 0-13, John Mitchels 1-10

Gneeveguilla played at home to John Mitchels on Sunday, and came away with a hard fought draw. Gneeveguilla got off to a good start with scores from Donal and Mike Murphy. John Mitchels went in at half time 2 points up mainly thanks to Sean Maloney frees. At the resumption of the 2nd half a fine score from Mike B Murphy and a Padraig Doyle point brought Gneeveguilla back in the game. Fergus McAulliffe then kicked a 45 to put Gneeveguilla 3 points ahead. John Mitchels were not finished yet and a tremendous goal from Sean Maloney levelled things again. Both teams exchanged further points and at full time it was Gneeveguilla 0-13 John Mitchels 1-10.