fb twitter yt

Senior County Football League Division 1 Round 3 2014-04-14 09:15:00

Rathmore 2-22 Currow 0-05

Played in Rathbeg on Saturday evening, Rathmore had a comfortable win over Currow on a score of 2-22 to 0-05. Rathmore, playing with the wind, got off to a great start and had three points inside the first three minutes, two from Mark Reen and one from Michael Riordan. Currow’s opening score came from Pa McCarthy. Mark Reen pointed from a free, and followed this with a goal and another point, before Dan O’Shea got Currow’s second of the game. Then, Rathmore were awarded a penalty, which Mark Reen scored, his second goal of the game and followed this with another point, which extended Rathmore’s lead. Donal O’Sullivan kicked two further points, one from a free, while Padraig O’Shea scored Currow’s third. This was followed points from Aidan O’Mahony and Patrick Reen, which left the half time score Rathmore 2-10 Currow 0-03.

Currow got the first score of the second half through Padraig O Shea. Then Rathmore took control with two more O’Mahony points and one from Michael Riordan. Mark Reen then kicked two further points, one from a free, and John Moynihan had a point followed by two more points from sub Michael A Kelleher. Aidan O Mahony had another point, before Michael A Kelleher got his third, and this was followed by another from Mark Reen, before Dan O’Shea got one for Currow. Michael A Kelleher got the final score of the game, to leave the full time score Rathmore 2-22 Currow 0-05. It was Mark Reen’s night as top scorer, with an impressive 2-08.

Finuge 1-05 Austin Stacks 1-13

Stacks take full points from this encounter and deservedly so, after a pulsating game in Finuge. From the throw in, Finuge bolted out of the blocks and had the first two attacks and were 1-00 to 0-00 up inside the first 2 minutes. Stacks began to settle and got their running game kick started which resulted in 1-05 inside 20 minutes. They added a further 0-05 to Finuges 0-04 to leave the half time score Finuge 1-04 Austin Stacks 1-10.
The second half was a nervy, tactical affair, with both teams aiming to cut off supply in the scoring areas, and it worked more in Stacks favour than the home side. Stacks added 0-03 to their half time score, with Finuge’s solitary point coming in the 58th munute. Stacks will be happy with their win, but must surely take it up a notch, with County Championship action looming. Finuge, on the other hand, will need to get their forward line firing, as they next face Kenmare in the Intermediate Championship.

Finuge: Gary Hogan 1-02 (0-01 45m), Fergus Fitzmaurice 0-02, Pat Corridan 0-01. Austin Stacks: Shane Carroll 0-07 (0-03 frees), David Mannix 0-01, Denis McElligott 1-00, Greg Horan 0-01,Wayne Guthrie 0-01, Conor Jordan 0-01, Pa McCarthy 0-01, Shane O' Callaghan 0-01

Waterville 0-10 Listowel Emmets 1-10

This was a game that kept the crowd entertained and that nobody left before the final whistle. Played in good conditions with the breeze favouring Listowel in the first half, they just about deserved their victory on a score of 1-10 to 0-10. Conor Cox showed his accuracy, with four well-taken frees, one from over 50 meters to give the visitors a commanding four point lead. Waterville defender, Mike Shea, suffered a serious shoulder injury, following a brave challenge. This seemed to lift Waterville, who opened their scoring with a well struck point from Stephen O’Dwyer from all of 40 meters. However, Listowel responded immediately with a well worked goal from Michael Stack to put the visitors in the driving seat on a score line of 1-04 to 0-01. Waterville to their credit stood up to the challenge and excellent scores by Gearoid O’Sullivan, Alan Shea and another long range point from Stephen O’Dwyer reduced the deficit to a goal. Listowel had the final say in this half, with a good score from Cormac Mulvihill, to leave the half time score 1-05 to 0-04.

Waterville started the second half brightly. However, a brace from Conor Cox had the visitors five in front with 15minutes to go. Waterville again fought back bravely with four unanswered points, two from Stephen O’Dwyer, with Niall Fitzgerald and Gearoid O’Sullivan closing the gap to the bare minimum 1-07 to 0-09. Cox again came to Listowel's rescue with an excellent point from play. This was quickly cancelled out by Waterville midfielder, Seamus Sullivan, with a great score from 40 meters to again leave the minimum between the sides. However, the final say rested with Conor Cox, who had a point from a free and one from play to secure the first two points of this year’s County League for the visitors. Final score: Waterville 0-10 Listowel Emmets 1-10.

Scores for Listowel: C.Cox 0-09(6f), Ml Stack 1-00, C.Mulvihill 0-01.
Scores for Waterville: S O'Dwyer 0-05(4f), G.O'Sullivan 0-02, A O’Shea, N. Fitzgerarld, S. O'Sullivan 0-01.

St. Michaels/Foilmore 0-10 Kilcummin 1-11

Kilcummin continued on their winning streak, when they travelled to Ballinskelligs on Sunday, to take on the home side, St Michaels Foilmore. As there was a clash in club colours, St. Michaels Foilmore togged off in unfamiliar white jerseys. Shane McSweeney quickly opened the scoring in the first minute with a point for Kilcummin. Darren O'Sullivan kicked the first point for the home side after nine and half minutes. Ger Sheehan kicked a point to put the visitors ahead by one. Bernard Kelly added two points for the home side, but Kilcummin quickly responded with points from Kieran Murphy and Jamie O'Sullivan. Damien Kelly added a further point for the home team, to level the sides, but Kilcummin went ahead by two points before half time with points from Jamie O'Sullivan and Kieran Murphy. Half time score 0-6 to Kilcummin 0-06 to St Michaels Foilmore 0-04.

St Michaels Foilmore registered the first score of the second half with a point from Bernard Kelly, but Gary O'Leary responded with a point for the visitors. Padraig King and DJ Moran kicked points for the home side, but Kilcummin kept reign of their lead with points from Jamie O'Sullivan(2) and Ger Sheehan. Bernard Kelly and Gary O'Leary exchanged points before the home side came within a point of the visitors, with points from Bernard Kelly and Padraig King. Then came the game winner and only goal,when Jamie O'Sullivan finished the ball to the back of the St Michaels Foilmore net and ensured two more County League Points for Kilcummin, in a game where Jamie O'Sullivan contributed 1-4 to the visitors’ final score of 1-11 to St Michaels Foilmore 0-10.
t Michaels Foilmore: Jason O'Shea, Alan Smith, Brian Smith, Adrian O'Connell, DJ Moran, Mark Griffin, Darragh Scanlon, Sean O'Connor, Padraig King, Bernard Kelly, Darren O'Sullivan, Sean O'Shea, Sean O'Sullivan, Damien Kelly, Darragh O'Sullivan

Kilcummin: Brendan Kealy, Patrick Buckley, Chris O'Leary, Donal Maher, Damien O'Leary, Sean Brosnan, Daniel O'Leary, Shane McSweeney, Kevin Gorman, Ger Sheehan, Jamie O'Sullivan, Gary O'Leary, Noel Duggan, Kieran Murphy, Ian Devane

Dr.Crokes 1-12 Milltown/Castlemaine 1-07

The visitors opened scoring with a point from Shane Murphy. The home side replied with two points from Daithi Casey and a further from Kieran Ward. Milltown replied through Jonathon O'Sullivan. Both sides scored three more each, to leave half time score 0-06 to 0-05, in favour of the home side.

Johnny Buckley opened the second half, scoring a point and great individual scores from Brian Looney and Daithi Casey left Dr. Crokes leading 0-10 to 0-07 with 10 minutes left. A Gavin O'Shea goal ,with four minutes remaining, finished the game as a contest. A free plus a penalty late on from Milltown's Donal Kelliher, finished the scoring. Best for the winners were Eoin Brosnan, Kieran Ward, Johnny Buckley and Brian Looney while Shane Murphy, Jonathon O'Sullivan and Donal Kelliher did well for the visitors. Full time score Dr. Crokes 1-12, Milltown/Castlemaine 1-07.

Daingean Uí Chúis 0-13 to 2-10 Kerins O`Rahilly's

Following the historic win by Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne in the All Ireland Colleges Final against St. Patrick's, Maghera Derry, home side Dingle were at home in a sun drenched Páirc an Ághasaigh against Kerins O’Rahillys.

Slow to start, Dingle were trailing from early on, but were beginning to show some promise before half time, until Rahillys scored the first of their goals. Half time score Dingle 0-6 to Kerins O’Rahillys 1-09.

Following the restart, Dingle had a wonderful opportunity to score a goal, but Gary Kissane did enough to stop Paudie Murphy from getting a Dingle goal. With points from Paul Geaney and Ryan Begley, Dingle started the better, but a Barry John Keane goal for the visitors stopped the momentum.

Dingle continued to play and narrowed the gap with Breandán Kelliher, Paul Devane and Paul Geaney at the end of a few great team moves. The home side should have had a penalty near the end, but it was not to be.

There was a little confusion over the score at the final whistle, but the full time score was Dingle 0-13 to Kerins O’Rahilly’s 2-10.

Daingean Uí Chúis: Gavin H. Ó Corráin, Eoghan Ó Conchúir, Mícheál Ó Flannabhra, Seán B. Ó Brosnacháin, Padraig Ó Dubháin, Breandán Ó Céilleachair (0-3), Pól Ó Dubháin (0-1), Darragh Ó Súilleabháin (Capt), Brian Ó Dubháin, Rian Ó Beaglaoich (0-1), Marc Mac Eibhín, Seosamh Mac an t-Síthigh (0-1), Seán Antóin Mac Thomáis, Micheál Ó Géibheannaigh, Pól Ó Géibheannaigh (0-6 5fr)

Kerins O`Rahilly's: Gary Kissane, Martin Tierney, Shane Brosnan, Tommy Begley, Andrew Thompson, Ross O’Callaghan, Mitchell Donnelly, David Moran, John C O’Connor, John Ferguson, Barry John Keane, Kevin Walsh, Declan Quill, Kieran O’Mahony, Ronan Quill.