fb twitter yt

Senior County Football League Division 1 Round 4 2014-05-05 08:52:00

Currow 1-09 Dingle 0-14
Currow played An Daingean at home in Round 4 of division one of the Credit Union sponsored Co League on Saturday evening 3rd May. Currow were looking to get off the bottom of the league table, while the visitors were on four points. This was always going a tough encounter and it did not disappoint. Dingle were first on the scoreboard with a point from a 45 from Paul Geaney. It took Currow five minutes to register their first score from a free by Mike Mc Carthy. Currow then took over in the mid field area, with some great fielding by Seamus Scanlon. With long ball into the forwards, they were 1-05 to 0-01 up by the fifteenth minute. Points came from Dan O'Shea(2), Padraig O' Shea(1), Mike Mc Carthy(2), and Kevin Daly (1 goal). An Daingean added six more points before half time, (3) each from Paul and Mikey Geaney, leaving the half time score Currow 1-05 An Daingean 0-07.

On the resumption, An Daingean added two points from Connor and Paul Geaney to put them ahead. By the eleventh minute of the second half, Currow were back in front with points from Mike Mc Carthy(1) And Dan O' Shea(2). An Daingean added five more points for the remainder of the game, while Currow added just one, but they missed a couple of clear cut chances late on in the game. Final score An Daingean 0-14 Currow 1-09.

Milltown/Castlemaine 1-7 Finuge 1-9

Finuge were the visitors to Milltown for this Round 4 clash of the County Senior football league. With the home side on just one point from three outings, a win was crucial at this stage of the competition. With Finuge deciding to play with the unpredictable strong breeze in the first half, Milltown/Castlemaine registered the first two points with frees from the boot of Cathal Moriarty. Finuge responded with two points of their own, leaving the sides level after five minutes play. Jack McCarthy added a point from play just after this, leaving the home side in front with the narrowest of margins. A free from Cathal Moriarty in the sixteenth minute dropped into the square, giving Jer Hayes the opportunity to fist the ball to the back of the net. Milltown/Castlemaie 1-04, Finuge 0-05. A penalty awarded to Finuge was driven to the back of the net by Ricky Hogan, giving Joe Daly no hope of saving the goal. A pointed free by Cathal Moriarty left the sides all level at half time 1-05 to 1-05.

With the second half under way, it took six minutes for Finuge to register the first score of the half, a free at short range. Substitution for Milltown/Castlemaine at the 38th minute, Johnthon O’Connor for Mike Quirke. With the wind coming in bursts, Milltown/Castlemaine missed four scorable chances from play. A pointed free for Finuge extended their margin to two points, after 20 minutes, with Milltown/Castlemaine yet to register a score on the second half. Finuge widened the gap at 23 minutes with another point from play, followed shortly after with a point from a free. Milltown/Castlemaine’s discipline inside their own half let them down, with a number of frees being awarded to the north Kerry men. The score after 27 minutes of the second half Milltown/Castlemaine 1-05, Finuge 1-09. It took until the 28thminute of second half for the home side to register their first score of the half, a point from Donal Kelleher, quickly followed by a point from Cathal Moriarty. A missed free by Cathal Moriarty in the dying minutes of injury time saw Finuge go out the winners. Final score Milltown/Castlemaine 1-07, Finuge 1-09.

Milltown/Castlemaine: Joe Daly, Niall Colgan, Damien Murphy, John Blennerhasset, Stephen Roche, Shane Murphy, Mike Quirke, Mike Burke, Brendan Delaney, Jer Hayes (1-0), Marcus Mangan, Cathal Moriarty (0-5), Jack McCarthy (0-1), Donal Kelliher (0-1), Paul Carroll.
Subs used : Jonathon O’Connor.

Kilcummin 1-08 Waterville 0-13

Played in Kilcummin in dry but windy conditions on Sunday, this was fiercely competitive throughout, with the result in doubt until the final whistle. The last few minutes were hectic as Kilcummin pressed hard for a goal to clinch the points, but Waterville stood strong and held out for a well deserved win. The first quarter was even pegging, as both teams had recorded three points on the fifteenth minute, with Kilcummin's Jamie O’Sullivan scoring two outstanding points from play and Stephen O' Dwyer replying from frees for the visitors. The second quarter was all about Waterville, as they tagged on a further five points before the break, four of these from play. This was due in the main to gaining control at midfield and some lovely points from Niall Fitzgerald and Barry Dwyer. Jamie O Sullivan ,after a great move, brought a fantastic save from Ciaran Dennehy in the Waterville goal and the half time score read Kilcuumin 0-03 Waterville 0- 08.

Kilcummin introduced Kevin Mc Carthy for the second half and he had an immediate impact, as he scored a goal and a point in the first eight minutes, which added to Jamie O’Sullivan's two points, had Kilcummin back on level terms. However, they were unable to kick on from there and the experience and physical supremacy of a fine Waterville team was very evident in the final quarter. With Stephen O Dwyer prominent, they outscored Kilcummin by four points to two and gained an invaluable win. Final score Kilcummin 1-08. Waterville 0-13.
Best for Waterville were Kevin Dwyer, Greg Gibson in defence, Seamus and Gearoid O Sullivan at midfield, and Niall Fitzgerald and Barry O Dwyer up front. Donal Maher in patches, Jamie O’ Sullivan and Shane Mc Sweeney were Kilcummin's best performers.

Kerins O’Rahillys 2-06 St. Michaels Foilmore 0-10

Rahillys notched up their fourth league win in a row, with a hard earned but deserved victory over a tough St Michaels Foilmore side on a difficult night for football, due to the strong and gusting wind. Playing with the aid of the elements in the first half, Foilmore were first on the scoresheet, but Rahillys soon equalised from a free by Declan Quill, following a foul on his younger brother Ronan. They hit the front shortly after with a great goal by midfielder Kevin Walsh, who found the top corner of the net, following a neat one two with Barry John Keane.
Further points followed from Declan, Barry John and a 50 from Jack Savage, to leave Rahillys leading by 1-04 to 0-03 approaching the short whistle. A great team move saw the ball reach Kieran O'Mahony on the edge of the square and he found the net with a low shot, to give Rahillys a half time lead of seven points, 2-04 to 0-03.

The first ten minutes of the second half were tit for tat, with Jack & Declan frees, in answer to Foilmores three points. Rahillys were not to score again, due to a combination of bad luck and the strong winds, whilst Foilmore tacked on another three points, to leave the full time score of Rahillys 2-06, Foilmore 0-10. This was a great win with each and everyone playing their part, including subs. Rahillys found it heartening to get back on the winning trail, following last week’s disappointment in the club championship.