fb twitter yt

Senior County Football League Division 1 Round 5 2014-05-18 08:49:00

Finuge 1-08 Listowel Emmets 0-08

There was tough competition in the Co. League tonight 17th May as Finuge took on their neighbours, Listowel Emmets, in Round 5 of the Div. One Senior Football League at O’Sullivan Park, Finuge. Listowel opened the game with their first point in the third minute of the game. Finuge's first point did not come in until the eighth minute when Darragh Shanahan put the ball over the cross bar for the point, to settle the nerves. Listowel gained two more points and this was followed by two points for Finuge, which were taken from frees by Fergus Fitzmaurice. These valuable points allowed Finuge to level the game in the 15th Minute. The next point came from Ricky Heffernan which brought the teams, Finuge 0-04. Listowel Emmets 0-03 at half time.

Finuge came on strong after the interval and scored another point from a free in the 31st minute of the game. Listowel followed suit with two points, one from a free and one from play, which levelled the game in the 38th Minute. A goal from Ricky Heffernan in the 42nd minute gave Finuge the advantage that they were waiting for, and drove both Finuge and Listowel to fight for each breaking ball, to maximise their full potential. Both Finuge and Listowel gained an additional point each from frees, which left the scoreboard now as Finuge 1-06 to Listowel 0-06. Beautiful points from play by Paudie Galvin and Rickey Heffernan gave Finuge the lead again, these points again were closely matched by two points from Listowel. These points altered the score line of Finuge 1-08 to Listowel's 0-08 in the dying minutes of the game. However, this lead did not allow Finuge to relax, as Listowel came back fighting in the last few minutes. Great defense from Finuge's backs and a goal save from Cillian Fitzmaurice in the last minute secured Finuge's win in this Round. Final score Finuge 1-08, Listowel Emmets 0-08.

Finuge: Cillian Fitzmaurice, Keefer Roche, Declan McCarthy(Captain), Micheal Stackpoole, Conor Fitzmaurice, Pat Corridan, Paudie Galvin (0-01), John McCarthy, Jack Corridan, Jason Wallace, Darragh Shanahan (0-01) , Fergus Fitzmaurice (0-02), James Flaherty, Gary Hogan (0-02), Stephan Power, Brian O Sullivan, Enda Galvin, Ger Stackpoole, Cathal McCarthy, Greg O Connor, Eoin McCarthy.

Listowel: Shane O Neill, John Heaphy, Jack McQuire, Brendan Guiney, Ger McCarthy, Denis Walsh, Jake Moriarty, Micheal Lynch, Brian McGuire, David Sheehy (Captain), Cormac Mulvihill, Bryan Murphy, Micheal Stack, Noel Kennelly, Keith Hughes, Ricky Halpin, Jamie Barry, Darragh Broderick, Eimhin O Brien, Eddie Joe Walsh, Darren Halpin, Maurice Whelan,

St. Michaels Foilmore 2-08 Currow 3-07

It was certainly a game of two halves, when Currow came from nine points down at half time to win by two points against St Michaels Foilmore and gain their first two Co. League points for 2014.

It was all St. Michaels Foilmore in the first half, with Ronan O'Connor and Damien Kelly quickly opening the scoring for the home side, with a point each. Padraig O'Shea got the first point for the visitors after seven minutes of play. DJ Moran and Ian Somers exchanged points. Then came the first goal of the game, when Matthew O'Sullivan finished the ball to the back of the Currow net. Padraig O'Shea responded with a point for the visitors in the fourteenth minute, but this was to be their last score of the first half. St. Michaels Foilmore extended the lead with points from James Moran and two from Bernard Kelly. The home side were awarded a penalty, just before the half time whistle, and Ronan O'Connor struck the ball to the Curow net to leave the half time score St. Michaels Foilmore 2-06 Currow 0-03.

Currow started the second half stronger. Mike McCarthy kicked over a point and was unlucky not to find the St. Michaels Foilmore net, but Jason O'Shea pulled off a great save for the home side. Currow, however, did not have to wait too long for their first goal of the game, when Dan O'Shea struck for goal connecting with the foot of Padraig O'Shea and the ball finished to the St. Michaels Foilmore net. Mike McCarthy closed the gap further with a point. Damien Kelly and Bernard Kelly responded with a point each, but these were to be the only scores from the home side in the second half. Ian Somers added a point, before Mike McCarthy found the back of the St Michaels Foilmore net to close the gap to two points. Ian Somers pointed again to leave a point between the teams. Then came Currows third goal and match winner, when Dan O'Shea finished the ball to the St. Michaels Foilmore net to leave the final score Currow 3-07 St Michaels Foilmore 2-08. These two teams will have to do battle again on May 31st, when Currow host St. Michaels Foilmore in Round one of The Senior Football Championship.

Dr. Crokes 3-14 Kilcummin 2-08

A win for Dr. Crokes on a scoreline of 3-14 to 2-08 keeps them well in touch at top of Division 1. Kilcummin came out, all guns blazing, hoping to capitalise on Dr. Crokes’ missing county players. But stray shooting from early attacks gave little return on the scoreboard. Dr. Crokes, on the other hand, were more clinical and fast flowing movement kept their scores ticking over. The half-time score had Dr Crokes 1-9 to 0-3 ahead, helped by a goal from Alan O’Sullivan.

The second half was a much tighter affair, with both teams scoring 2-05 apiece. Kilcummin were awarded a penalty. Conor O’Loughlin, the Crokes goalkeeper, pulled off a terrific save from Jamie O’Sullivan’s shot from the spot. But Jamie was quickest to react and banged the ball to the net. Ian Devane followed this up with another goal for Kilcummin. Dr Crokes were also awarded a penalty and Kerry Minor, Mícheál Burns, found the net. Tony Brosnan was on the end of passing movement and he too picked off a goal for Dr. Crokes. The final score was a fair result the hours play.

Dr Crokes: 1. Conor O’Loughlin, 2. John Payne, 3. Eoin Brosnan, 4. Kieran Ward, 5. Shane Myers, 6. Shane Doolan, 7. David O’Leary, 8. Mike Milner, 9. Alan O’Sullivan, 10. Brian Looney, 11. Mícheál Burns, 12. Bryan O’Shea, 13. Tony Brosnan, 14. Chris Brady, 15. Gavin O’Shea.

Kilcummin: 1. Shane Murphy, 2. Patrick Buckley, 3. Tommy Cooper, 4. Donal Maher, 5. Damien O’Leray, 6. Seán Brosnan, 7. Daniel O’Leary, 8. Kevin Gorman, 9. Garry O’Leary, 10. Jer Sheehan, 11. Jamie O’Sullivan, 12. Enda O’Sullivan, 13. Kevin McCarthy, 14. Shane McSweeney, 15. Ian Devane.

Daingean Uí Chúis 2-14 Rathmore 2-11

Dingle took the points at Páirc an Ághasaigh on Sat 17/5/'14 after an excellent game of football played at a frantic pace. Rathmore led the way, with Mark Reen and Eoin Lawlor excellent in the full-forward line. Reen helped himself to a goal and three points, before Dingle switched Tom O’Sullivan back to mark him. This move worked a treat for Dingle and, when William Devane found the net for Dingle, after 25 mins, the direction of this game changed completely. At half time, Dingle led by 1-08 to 1-05 and four of Dingle’s points came from the excellent Mark Evans.

Dingle carried on where they left off on the restart, and another major from goal machine Willian Devane, followed by a point from Dan Ryan gave them a seven point lead. Rathmore lifted their game from there on, and with five minutes left, the margin was reduced to one point. Micheál Flanery and the excellent Dan Ryan, scoring his fourth point, increased the margin for the home side and left Dingle winning by three. Dingle had excellent defenders in Patrick O’Connor, Johnny Brosnan, Mark Ó Connor, Tom O Sullivan and Breandán Ó Ceilleachair. At mid-field, Billy Ó Connor and Dara Ó Sullivan shaded the exchanges over the hour. The efforts of William Devane, Dara Ryan, Mark Evans and Micheál Flannery contributed to an excellent return of 2-14. Final Score Dingle 2-14, Rathmore 2-11.