fb twitter yt

Senior Hurling Championship - Round 1 2017-07-01 21:44:00

Garvey's SuperValu Senior Hurling Championship Round 1

Causeway 3-15  St Brendans 2-18

A tremendous game of hurling between two committed sides gave a great start to the hurling championship at Austin Stack Park on Saturday evening. Extra time could not separate the sides and it is only fitting that both will get another bite of the cherry.

Causeway with wind advantage got the better start and a goal by Stephen Murphy when he first time a loose ball to the net had them ahead by 1-2 to 0-1 after nine minutes. St Brendans’ response was good with three points on the trot from John Egan David Griffin and Eric Leen but Anthony Fealy and Colum Harty replied for Causeway to leave the score 1-4 to 0-4 after twenty minutes. Tadhg Flynn saved well from Cian Hussey but a minute later Hussey finished a loose ball to the net and St Brendans led by 1-6 to 1-5 at the break.

The second half opened with a goal for either side with Keith Carmody shooting low from the left in the 32nd minute for causeway and Cian Hussey goaled five minutes later when his deceiving shot found the Causeway net. Brendans added three points in as many minutes and when Paul McGrath and Rory Horgan from long range swapped points it was 210 to 2-6 for St Brendans at the three quarter stage. Points from Anthony Fealy, Jason Leahy and Paul McGrath to one in reply from John Egan saw two points between the sides 2-11 to 2-9 with seven minutes to play.

Causeway then had a great chance when Anthony Fealy was fouled in the square but Colum Harty’s penalty shot was wide on the left and when the excellent Cian Hussey added a point St Brendans were three to the good and time running out. However, up stepped Stephen Goggin to pounce on a loose ball and rattle the St Brendans net to send the game to extra time 2-12 for St Brendan to 3-9 for Causeway who finished the game with 14 men.

Back to 15 for the extra time and Causeway hit two quick points but back came Brendans with three of their own to take the lead before Paul McGrath and Jason Leahy gave Causeway a 3-13 to 2-15 half time lead.

Stephen Goggin added another for Causeway on the resumption but Cian Hussey and David Griffin replied to tie the game once more and there was still time for Cian Hussey and Shane O’Mahony to swap point but the sides could not be separated and they will have to do it all again on a date to be confirmed.

Scorers: Causeway:  Stephen Goggin 1-2, Paul McGrath 0-4 (2 Frees), Colum Harty 0-3, Keith Carmody and Stephen Murphy 1-0 each,  Jason Leahy and Anthony Fealy 0-2, Brandon Barrett 0-1.

Str Brendans: Cian Hussey 2-6, John Egan 0-6 (2 frees), David Griffin 0-2, Kevin Skinner, Eric Leen, Rory Horgan, Shane O’Mahony0-1 each.