fb twitter yt

SENIOR CO. LEAGUE DIVISION 2 - ROUND 6 2017-07-13 00:23:00

Glenflesk         0-11    Waterville 1-10

Waterville were the visitors to Glenflesk on Saturday evening and in glorious sunshine went home with two vital County league points.   Glenflesk had been in impressive form lately with just one loss from their five County league games and a win would have seen them continue to push for promotion.  Waterville, with just one win from their five games, were badly in need of the two points and a disciplined performance saw them win those points.

The first quarter was a close affair and there was never more than a point between the sides.  Jeff O’Donoghue with two good points and Ian and Darragh Roche got the scores for Glenflesk.  Stephen O’Dwyer with three frees and Sam Dwyer from play responded for Waterville to leave the score at four points apiece with 14 minutes played.  Darragh Roche gave Glenflesk the lead from a free in the 15th minute, but the game’s decisive score came in the 18th minute from Waterville, Paddy Curran collected a long ball and showed superb vision to put Sam Dwyer through on goal and he made no mistake to give Waterville a two point lead.  Barry O’Dwyer and Brian O’Donoghue traded points before half time to leave Waterville with a two point lead.  Half time score: Glenflesk 0-06.  Waterville 1-05


Waterville extended their lead to three straight from the throw in, but Glenflesk dominated the rest of the third quarter from that point on and scored the next four points to lead by one with 18 minutes to play, the pick of the scores coming from Eric O’Donoghue after a brilliant run from Daniel O’Brien, Glenflesk 0-10 Waterville 1-06.  Some excellent defending from Waterville prevented Glenflesk from building on this lead and points from Alan O’Shea and Cormac O’Sullivan saw Waterville lead with 12 minutes to play.  Jeff O’Donoghue, with his fourth point from play, levelled matters up and the game was finely balanced with tenminutes to play.  Both teams defended doggedly for the final ten minutes and a draw looked likely entering the final minute, but a fine long range point from Waterville saw them lead with injury time to be played, and Jamie O’Sullivan, with an excellently taken score, made sure of the points for Waterville in injury time.