fb twitter yt

GLENBEIGH/GLENCAR 1-13 KERINS O RAHILLYS 2-16 2017-07-10 22:18:00

Glenbeigh/Glencar 1-13, Kerins O’Rahillys 2-16

Glenbeigh/Glencar welcomed Kerins O Rahillys as they looked to continue their impressive start to this season’s league campaign.  Rahillys got the scoring underway opening up a two point lead in the early stages, Tommy Cahill scored the first point for Glenbeigh/Glencar and a Daniel Griffin point soon after drew the teams level. Cian Sayers nudged Rahillys back into the lead but Glenbeigh/Glencar were playing well and looked capable of beating their counterparts. Tommy Cahill scored his second point after great work involving Gavan O Grady and Pa Kilkenny in the build up. Minutes later, Caolim Teahan showed great composure as a great low, hard drive from distance blistered into the back of Gary Kissane's net to take a 1-04 to 0-03 lead. Both teams were playing great football creating a host of scoring chances as the match was end to end. Tom Hoare finished a good team move with a point for Rahillys but was quickly cancelled out by a converted Gavan O Grady free. John Ferguson added another for the visitors but Glenbeigh/Glencars advantage was extended with good points from Stephen O Sullivan and Tommy Cahill. It looked as if Glenbeigh/Glencar would build up a significant advantage on the scoreboard but credit to Rahillys, who kept coming back and with points from Ferguson, Sayers and Tommy Walsh's
first they reduced the deficit to two points 1-07 to 0-08. Bernard Murphy has had an excellent start to this year’s campaign and came up with another
important point finishing an excellent team move. Rory O Connor pulled off a great point blank save to keep Rahillys at bay but they did manage to score a point from the follow up. Both teams managed a point a piece in the closing stages of the half with a converted Gavan O Grady free and another fine effort from John Ferguson.
Rahillys had an opportunity to cut the lead to a single point with a handy free just before the halftime whistle but a savage miss kept Glenbeigh/Glencar’s two point advantage intact. Halftime score:- Glenbeigh/Glencar 1-09, Kerins O’Rahillys 0-10.  Podge Griffin came in for Vincent Hoare after half time . One of few bright moments in the second half for Glenbeigh/Glencar came early on as Pa Kilkenny kicked a fine point to open a three point lead. Rahillys moved Tommy Walsh into full forward and his physical presence gave the home team problems from the outset and dividends paid off as Tommy kicked their first score of the half . Glenbeigh/Glencar and Rahillys were both guilty of not taking their chances in the early encounters of the half but a
defining moment came when Rahillys were awarded a penalty when Sean Roche
took down Padraig Griffin as he bore down on goal, Rory O Connor was unlucky as Karl Mullins poorly taken penalty just managed to scrape inside the post to give Rahillys a 1-10 to 1-11 lead. Glenbeigh/Glencar were still very much in the game but as they missed a few opportunities their heads seen to drop and Rahillys scored five unanswered points with Tommy Walsh proving a constant danger. Glenbeigh/Glencar did rally late on and a
converted Tommy Cahill Free and point from Gavan O Grady brought the boys back to within four points but any sign of a comeback was wiped out with a late Diarmuid O Sullivan goal.  Caoilim Teahan scored a late consolation point for Glenbeigh/Glencar. It was a disappointing outcome after a great first half performance.  Full Time score:- Glenbeigh/Glencar 1-13, Kerins O’Rahillys 2-16.

Glenbeigh/Glencar Team - R O Connor, S Roche, C Doyle, V Hoare, J Brosnan, P Kilkenny, S O Sullivan, C McGillicuddy, F Griffin, B Murphy, C Teahan, T Cahill, K Courtney, G O Grady, D Griffin.  Subs D O Neill, P Griffin, J McKenna, S Riordan, C Purcell, E Courtney, K Cahillane, C Teahan, M Walsh, M Breen, M O Sullivan, D Murphy, L Seidler