fb twitter yt

Dingle end South Kerry's Reign in SFC Qtr Final Shock 2016-10-01 21:26:00

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals

Dingle 0-12 South Kerry 0-11

Champions South Kerry were sent crashing out of the Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park this afternoon by a never say die Dingle side who never gave up the ghost despite trailing by four points to the champions early in the second half.

South Kerry, forced to line-out without Kerry star Killian Young due to injury, will wonder how they contrived to lose a game they seemed to be in control of for long periods. They laid down a marker at the start of both halves but little by little as the second half progressed, Dingle came more into the game and helped by the accuracy of Conor Geaney, who kicked six frees, they controlled possession during the vital last quarter. Bryan Sheehan did have a chance to force extra time deep into added time but his effort from 45 yards on the sideline was fielded on the goaline and referee Eddie Walsh called time.

Two points from Bryan Sheehan and another from Brendan O’Sullivan put a dominant South Kerry three clear within the first ten minutes but Dingle hit back to level by the 20th minute with pointed frees from Conor Geaney either side of a good point from Paul Geaney. South Kerry, with Brendan O’Sullivan in tremendous form, then hit 4 points on the trot, all from play, courtesy of Daniel Daly, O’Sullivan, Paul O’Donoghue and Sheehan but Dingle hit back with two crucial scores before the break with a good point from Paul Geaney and a good free from Conor Geaney to leave the score 7 to 5 for the champions at the break.

Greg Gibson and Daniel Daly restored that four points lead within two minutes of the restart and it looked as if the champions would drive on with wind assistance to their backs but Dingle carved out a lot of possession around the centre against a tiring O’Sullivan and Sheehan and they were forcing fouls from the South Kerry defence. Aidan O’Connor, Conor Geaney and Brendan Kelliher pointed in quick succession but Bryan Sheehan pointed a monster free from 60 yards to leave two points between the sides with twenty minutes still remaining. South Kerry were not to score again in normal time as their shooting left them down and points from Cathal Bambury and a fine effort from a free by Paul Geaney drew Dingle level. Two pointed frees by Conor Geaney saw Dingle in front for the first time and despite losing Kelliher to a red card late on South Kerry’s only reply was a Sheehan tap over free when Matthew O’Sullivan fielded and was brought down very near the square. Sheehan did all he could with that late free but it’s Dingle who go into the semi final draw on Sunday around 5pm.

Dingle: Conor Geaney 0-6 (Frees), Paul Geaney 0-3 (1 Free), Brendan Kelliher, Aidan O’Connor, and Cathal Bambury 0-1 each.
South Kerry: Bryan Sheehan 0-5 (1 Free), Brendan O’Sullivan and Daniel Daly 0-2 each, Greg Gibson, Paul O’Donoghue 0-1 each.
There were two changes to the original line-out with Brian Sugrue replacing Killian Young on the South Kerry team and Aidan O’Connor replacing Tomás Sheehy on the Dingle side.

Dr Crokes 1-16 Kerins O’Rahillys 0-14
Dr Crokes are safely through to the semi finals of the Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship following a comfortable victory over Kerins O’Rahillys in the opening game of the double bill at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park today. It was a game that was marred by a serious injury to Rahilly’s Giles O’Grady just six minutes in and the game was delayed for 40 minutes as a result.

Jack Savage and Shane Murphy (45) swapped early points but then an unforced error sent Brian Looney bearing down on goal for Crokes and O’Grady sustained the injury attempting to block Looney’s shot. When play resumed, Daithi Casy pointed the resultant free to put Crokes into a lead they were never to lose. Kieran O’Leary and Cooper combined well in the 12th minute after another mix up in the Rahillys defence and after O’Leary was fouled in the square, Gary Kissane saved Daithi Casey’s penalty with Casey’s shot from the rebound going over the bar to put Crokes 4-2 ahead. Tony Brosnan and Cooper pointed before Copper goaled after Daithi Casey’s fine shot on the run was well saved by Kissane only for goal poacher Cooper to be on hand to fire home the rebound in the 22nd minute. Rahillys were living on scraps up front but David Moran and Barry John Keane pointed in quick succession to reduce the margin however, Crokes responded with three on the trot before Jack Savage and Tommy Walsh pointed eithr side of a Cooper free to leave the Killarney side leading by 1-10 to 0-6 at the break.

David Moran (45), Savage from a free and Barry John Keane pointed within five minutes of the restart as Rahillys began to make wind advantage count and with Tommy Walsh fielding some fine ball at full forward Rahillys were threatening to make a game of it. Far too often however Walsh found himself isolated inside and some hard won possession went a begging and by the three quarter stage the four point margin was still between the sides. Each time Rahillys scored, Crokes were able to hit back with scores of their own and despite a couple of good points from Jack Savage and another fine effort from Barry John, Crokes were able to respond with well taken scores from the likes of Kieran O’Leary, and substitutes Eoin Brosnan and Jordan Kiely and the action completed with a cracking shot off the crossbar by young Gavin White who had a fine game for the winners.
Both sides showed one change to the lineouts with David O’Leary starting for Mike Milner for Crokes and Con Barrett starting for Kevin Walsh for Rahillys.
Dr Crokes: Colm Cooper 1-5 (2 frees), Daithi Casey 0-3 (1 free), Tony Brosnan and Shane Murphy (frees) 0-2 each, Alan O’Sullivan, Kieran O’Leary, Eoin Brosnan and Jordan Kiely 0-1 each.
Kerins O’Rahillys: Jack Savage 0-5 (3 frees), Barry John Keane 0-4 (1 free), David Moran 0-2 (1 Free), Tommy Walsh, Kieran O’Mahony and Greg O’Connell 0-1 each.

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals down for decision this weekend

Football followers in the county are in for a treat this weekend when the quarter finals of the Garveys SuperValu senior football championship are down for decision with two double bill in Tralee and Killarney.

First up on Saturday in Tralee’s Austin Stack Park, is the meeting of Dr Crokes and Kerins O’Rahillys at 1:30pm followed by the meeting of reigning champions South Kerry and Dingle at 3:15pm.

Dr Crokes had it all too easy in Round 1 when easily accounting for West Kerry but they got a right scare from St Kierans in their Round 2 game before surviving by the minimum margin in Cordal. Their opponents, Kerins O’Rahillys, gave South Kerry a right run for their money in Round 1 before going down by a point and then had six points to spare against Feale Rangers in Round 2. With an abundance of good forwards on view, this promises to be a high scoring encounter with both sides determined to make up for their exits at the quarter final stage last season.

South Kerry put their county title on the line when they take on Dingle in the second game on the bill. The champions have been living dangerously in both their outings to date, being held to a point winning margin by Kerins O’Rahillys in their opening game and they were then taken to a replay by Austin Stacks in Round 2, though they did win that second encounter by eight points. Dingle had a good victory over Rathmore in Round 1 but contrived to lose to Mid Kerry in Round 2 after extra time having been well in control when leading by eleven points at one stage. The westerners had five points to spare over Milltown in Round 3. The possible absence of Mark O’Connor from the Dingle side may have a big bearing on the result of this game.

All-together, there is an abundance of up and coming footballing talent on view and certainly Eamonn Fitzmaurice and his selectors will be out in force over the weekend to run the rule over some of those aspiring to wear the green and gold in Croke Park at senior level. Extra time, should it be required, applies in all games.

Kerry Minor squad to be presented to the Crowd in Fitzgerald Stadium
The All Ireland winning Kerry Minor team and management will be presented to the crowd between the county championship quarter final matches around 3:20 in Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday next.
Click here for details of  games in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney