fb twitter yt

Garvey's Senior Football Championship: Round-Up   27/05/2017

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship 2017

Round 1         


Dingle                                   3-16       Kenmare District              2-4

Austin Stacks                     0-16       St.Kierans                             1-13

St Brendan's                       2-17       Kilcummin                           2-14

Killarney Legion                0-15       Kenmare Shamrocks      1-12

Rathmore                            1-12       East Kerry                            1-10

Kerins O'Rahilly's              2-16       South Kerry                        2-12

Feale Rangers                    1-13       West Kerry                         0-12

Dr Crokes                            2-14       Mid Kerry                            0-9


Round 2

Round 2A  (Winners Group)

Dr Crokes                            7-17       St Brendans                        0-16

Rathmore                            2-16       Feale Rangers                   2-7

Dingle                                   3-9          Kerins O’Rahillys             2-14

Austin Stacks                     4-13       Legion                                 3-6

Round 2A Winners progress to Quarter Finals - (4 teams)

Round 2A Losers progress to Round 3  - (4 teams)     


Round 2B (Losers Group)

Kilcummin                          1-5          South Kerry                        2-17

East Kerry                            4-15       Mid Kerry                            1-11

Kenmare Dist                    3-8          Kenmare Shamrocks      3-13 (Scroll down for report)

West Kerry                         0-14       St Kierans                            0 -13 (Scroll down for report)

Round 2B Winners progress to Round 3 - (4 teams)



Round 2B Losers exit the competition - (4 teams)

The four teams exiting the championship at this stage are – Mid Kerry, Kilcummin, Kenmare District and St Kierans


Round 3

Round 3 = Round 2A Losers   v   Round 2B Winners - 8 teams (4 v 4) (Avoid repeat pairing)

Teams through to Round 3 are 

The losers of 2A – Dingle, Feale Rangers, St Brendans and Legion

The winners of 2B – South Kerry, West Kerry, East Kerry and Kenmare Shamrocks

Quarter Finals

Quarter Finals =  Round 2A Winners v Round 3 Winners (4 v 4)

Quarter Final Draw format: 

Seeded Draw: 2A Winners in one bowl and Round 3 Winners in separate bowl.

Avoid repeat games-  if possible


Teams already through to the Quarter Finals and the round 2A winners – Dr Crokes, Rathmore, Kerins O’Rahillys and Austin Stacks 

Semi Finals

Semi Finals = Quarter Final winners (2 v 2)   (Open Draw)

Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Football Championship Match Report - 26 May 2017

West Kerry 0-14 to 0-13 St. Kieran’s

Played in a misty but calm Gallarus on Friday evening West Kerry kept their County Championship hopes alive with a win in the second round of the Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Football Championship, West Kerry 0-14 to 0-13 St. Kieran’s.

West Kerry opened the scoring with a point from play from PJ Mac Láimh. St. Kieran’s followed this with a point from play from Philip O’Connor. Jason Hickson with a point from play and Dara Ó Sé with a point from a free kick gave West Kerry a two point lead after 10 minutes. Philip O’Connor kicked a point from a free for St. Kieran’s and Dara Ó Sé with a point from a free kick for West Kerry meant that after 15 minutes gone in the first half in Gallarus the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-4 to 0-2 St. Kieran’s.

Shortly after the quarter mark West Kerry's Tomás Mac an tSaoir made a great save from St. Kieran’s James Walsh to deny them a certain goal. West Kerry broke up field and after good work by Roibeárd Ó Sé and Declan O’Sullivan, Dara Ó Sé kicked a point from play for West Kerry. Philip O'Connor kicked a point from a free kick for St. Kieran’s and Declan O’Sullivan kicked a point from play for West Kerry.

West Kerry’s Dara Ó Sé hit a powerful shot when he was through on goal, but the upright denied him and saved St. Kieran’s. West Kerry gathered the rebound and won a free kick which Dara Ó Sé duly kicked over the bar. Seán Mícheál Ó Conchúir kicked a point from play for West Kerry and St. Kieran’s responded with a point from play from Eamon Kiely. Dara Ó Sé kicked a point from a free kick for West Kerry and James Walsh with a point from a free kick for St. Kieran’s was the last score of the first half. When Referee Michael Hennessy blew the half time whistle in Gallarus the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-9 to 0-5 St. Kieran’s.

Philip O'Connor opened the scoring in the second half with a point from play for St Kieran’s, this was closely followed with a James Walsh point from a free kick. St. Kieran’s reduced the West Kerry lead to one point with another James Walsh point from a free kick. West Kerry responded with points from play from Seán Mícheál Ó Conchúir and PJ Mac Láimh. St. Kieran’s reduced West Kerry’s lead to one point with points from play from Mike Finnegan and Adam Barry. With 15 minutes gone in the second half in Gallarus the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-11 to 0-10 St. Kieran’s.

Shortly after James Walsh levelled the game for St. Kieran’s with a point from a free kick. West Kerry responded with points from play from PJ Mac Láimh and Dara Ó Sé to go two ahead. Another James Walsh point from a free kick was cancelled out by a Declan O’Sullivan point from play. West Kerry’s Roibeárd Ó Sé was making his presence felt in midfield and after he fielded a kick out the ball found its way to Declan O’Sullivan. O’Sullivan beat his man but saw his goal bound shot brilliantly saved by St. Kieran’s keeper Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain. St. Kieran’s took heart from this and West Kerry’s lead was reduced to one point after another Philip O’Connor point from a free kick. In injury time St. Kieran’s went searching for the equaliser but good defending from West Kerry saw them pushed back. With time running out they won a 45 but unfortunately for St. Kieran’s Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain’s kick sailed just wide. When Referee Michael Hennessy blew the full time whistle in Gallarus the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-14 to 0-13 St. Kieran’s.

With this win Paul Quinn’s West Kerry now progress to Round 3 of the Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Football Championship.

West Kerry: Tomás Mac an tSaoir (An Ghaeltacht), Colm Ó Muircheartaigh (An Ghaeltacht), Cathal Ó Lúing (An Ghaeltacht), Gearoid Mac Gearailt  (Castlegregory), Pádraig Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Gareth Noonan (Lispole), Andrew Finn (Annascaul), Roibeárd Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Jason Hickson (0-1) (Annascaul) , Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Dara Ó Sé (0-6, 4fr) (An Ghaeltacht), PJ Mac Láimh (0-3) (An Ghaeltacht), Declan O Sullivan (0-2) (Lispole), James Crean (Annascaul), Seán Micheál Ó Conchúir (0-2) (An Ghaeltacht) Fir Ionaid: Timmy Moriarty  (Castlegregory), Cathal Ferriter (Annascaul)

St. Kieran’s: Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain (Cordal), John O Connor (Currow), Dan O Sullivan (Currow), Shane Fitzmaurice (Brosna), Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin), Eamon Kiely (0-1) (Brosna), Bryan Leonard (Desmonds), Seamus Scanlon (Currow), James Walsh (0-5, 5fr) (Knocknagoshel), Daniel Murphy (Scartaglin), Philip O Connor (0-5, 3fr) (Cordal), Timmy Finnegan (Brosna), Mike Mc Carthy (Currow), Aidan Breen (Ballymacelligot), Adam Barry (0-1) (Brosna) Fir Ionaid: Cian O Connor (Desmonds), Tom Mc Golderick (Brosna), Mike Finnegan (0-1) (Brosna), Vinney Horan (Ballymacelligot), Thomas O Connor (Ballymacelligot)

SENIOR FOOTBALL: Austin Stacks 4-13; Killarney Legion 3-6.

For the seventh time in eight seasons the Rock have qualified for the quarter final stage of the Co. Championship after a ten points victory played in an overcast but dry (despite the adverse weather forecast) Connolly Park on this Friday evening (26th May).

The home side got off to a terrific start, going 1-1 up inside the first minute. Kieran Donaghy won the throw-in, found Shane O’Callaghan who passed to Michael O’Donnell and he raced through and found the net after 22 seconds. Star then won the kick-out, found Shane Carroll, who put David Mannix through for a point. Legion then got to grips with the game and James O’Donoghue had reduced that lead with two quick points. However Legion didn’t score again until James was on target from a free on the stroke of half time.

In between Stacks were totally dominant with a host of players performing individually and collectively. In that period they scored 1-6 without reply to leave them ten points ahead at the break (2-7 to 0-3). Points from five different players – David Mannix (2 – one from a free), Jack O’Shea, Michael O’Donnell (free), Wayne Guthrie and Shane O’Callaghan and a super goal from Jack Morgan after a brilliant individual run in the 27th minute, left them in that position.

For the first eight minutes of the second half,  four goals were scored and nothing else – two for each side. The Rock scored the first two (Greg Horan and Wayne Guthrie). This left them an astonishing 16 points clear at that stage. But Legion will always fight to the last and in the next four minutes got through themselves for two goals (Jamie O’Sullivan and Thomas Moriarty).

The rest of the game was also evenly contested with Stacks putting over six points and Legion adding 1-3, their third goal coming from a 51st minute penalty by James O’Donoghue.

The win puts Stacks straight in to the quarter finals along with Dr. Crokes, Kerins O’Rahillys and Rathmore who have already qualified. The other four quarter final teams will emerge from the winners of the four round 3 games which are due to be played the week after the Munster SF Final.

Legion will be in that round 3, together with St. Brendans, Feale Rangers and Dingle and all four will be drawn against either South Kerry, East Kerry, Kenmare Shamrock or West Kerry.

Team: David Hennessy, Barry Walsh, Fearghal MacNamara, Ronan Shanahan, Pa McCarthy, Jack O’Shea (0-1), Jack Morgan (1-0), Shane Carroll, Wayne Guthrie (1-1), Denis McElligott(0-1), Greg Horan (1-1), Michael O’Donnell (1-1 – one free), David Mannix (0-7 – two frees), Kieran Donaghy, Shane O’Callaghan (Capt) (0-1).

Subs used: Fiachna Mangan for O’Donnell (525m), Seán Ryan for Guthrie (58m), Denis Costello for Mangan (62m).

Killarney Legion: Brian Kelly, Cathal Sheahan, Danny Sheahan, Chris Davies, Cian Gammell, Denis Sheahan, Jonathan Lyne, Shaun Keane, Billy McGuire, Rob Leen, Jamie O’Sullivan (1-0), Jack O’Neill, James O’Donoghue (1-5 – penalty goal; one free), Finbarr Murphy, Conor Culloty.

Subs used: Conor Keane (0-1) for Culloty (ht), Thomas Moriarty (1-0) for Murphy (ht), Seán McCarthy for Denis Sheahan (45m).

Kenmare District 3-8 Kenmare Shamrocks 3-13

Kenmare Shamrocks V Kenmare District 
With a huge crowd present in Templenoe it was the Shamrocks who hit the ground running with a goal from Seanie Shea with the first score of the game. The game went from end to end with Seanie Shea hitting some important scores in this period, Kenmare Shamrocks were always in control and the craft of Paul O’Connor and Stephen O’Brien kept the town team on course for victory. The District side made a couple of changes at half time but the Shamrocks pushed on with a goal from Shane O’Sullivan, the District did get a few consolation scores from Adrian and Killian Spillane. It ended with a five point victory for the Shamrocks



Three of the four quarter finalists are now known following last weekend’s action in the Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship. All Ireland champions Dr Crokes served notice of their intentions when hitting St Brendans for seven goals in Lewis Rd to record a 7-17 to 0-16 victory in a game that also saw Ivan Parker score six points from play for the losers. Rathmore secured their Quarter final place following a 2-16 to 2-7 victory over Feale Rangers in a fiery encounter at Rathbeg and Kerins O’Rahillys’ victory over Dingle in Páirc an Aghasaigh (2-14 to 3-9) must go down as the performance of the weekend given the pressure they were under following defeat by Austin Stacks in the Club Championship relegation game just three weeks ago. The final quarter final place from the Round 2 fixtures rests between Austin Stacks and Legion who meet in the Round 2A tie on this Friday evening in Connolly Park at 7:30pm. Both sides had good Round 1 Replay victories away from home last weekend. Stacks travelled to Scartaglen on Saturday evening and survived a late penalty for St Kierans to win by two points (0-14 to 1-9)while Legion travelled to Kenmare on Sunday and came out the right side of a ding dong battle to record a 2-13 to 1-15 victory.

Meanwhile, in a Round 2B double bill in Lewis Road, both Mid Kerry and Kilcummin made their exit from the championship last weekend. South Kerry had it all their own way against Kilcummin to record a 2-17 to 1-5 victory while a youthful East Kerry side had a surprisingly easy 4-15 to 1-11 victory over Mid Kerry. So South Kerry and East Kerry advance to Round 3 where they will be drawn against a losing team from Round 2A (Dingle, St Brendans, Feale Rangers and Austin Stacks or Legion).

The two remaining games in Round 2B will be played on this Friday evening when Kenmare District face local rivals Kenmare Shamrocks in Templenoe and West Kerry have St Kierans as visitors to Gallarus. Both of those games throw in at 7:30 with the loser in each case exiting the competition.

The competition will then be parked until Round 3 on July 9th, the week after the Munster Football final.

Garvers Senior Football Championship Round 2A Fixtures

Fri May 26 @ 7.30pm Extra Time – in Connolly Park 

Austin Stacks                          v          Killarney Legion



Senior Football Championship Rd 2B

Fri May 26 @ 7.30pm Extra Time – in Templenoe

Kenmare District                     v          Kenmare Shamrocks

Fri May 26 @ 7.30pm Extra Time – in Galluras

West Kerry                              v          St Kierans