Senior Football Championship - Round 3 2017-07-08 22:37:00

Garvey's SuperValu Senior Football Championship Round 3

East Kerry edge a thriller in Round 3 of the Garvey's SFC

East Kerry 3-24  St Brendans 4-17

This thriller in Austin Stack Park was a throw back to an era not so long passed with neither a blanket defence nor a sweeper on view as two sides slogged it out on the scoreboard with East Kerry coming from 10 points down in the first half to rescue the game with a stunning goal in the 63rd minute to force extra time and then Minor starlet David Clifford made a cameo appearance in the second period of extra time to bag a goal from his one touch of the ball and effectively clinch victory for his side.

It was a victory that did not look possible for the Eastern side at periods during the first half dominated by St Brendans who were a goal up inside 30 seconds when Shane O’Connor netted. It should have been two a few moments later but Michael Griffin was just wide of the post. With Shane O'Connor, the Barrys Jack and Andrew and David O’Callaghan to the fore, St Brendans went on to lead by 1-4 to 0-5 by the 12th minute before O’Connor had his second major after a great passing move. Dara Roche had a shot taken off the line at the other end and Colin Myers saved brilliantly twice, first to deprive Shane O’Connor a hattrick and then Kevin Shanahan’s follow up. The goal St Brendans were threatening did come however when Ivan Parker cut in from the right in the 28th minute and two minutes later David O’Callaghan had the ball in the net for a fourth goal to leave 10 points between the sides. Jack Sherwood, who was to play a leading role in events as the game progressed,  added what seemed at the time to be two token points for East Kerry before the break to leave the interval score 4-6 to 0-10 in favour of St Brendans. The likes of Jeff O’Donoghue and Dara Roche had kept the scorebaoard ticking over for East Kerry in that half.

With Jack Sherwood and Dara Roche in fine form, East Kerry got down to business straight on the resumption and outscored their rivals by 6 points to 2 in the first 7 minutes of the half to reduce the deficit to 4 points but then St Brendans replied with 4 points on the trot, including 2 from Ivan Parker,  to double their lead by the three quarter stage; 4-12 to 0-16.

Roche and Kevin Shanahan swapped points before Jack Sherwood goaled in the 52nd minute to leave 5 between the sides 4-13 to 1-17.Brian O’Donoghue and Kieran Murphy narrowed the deficit to a goal with time running out and three minutes into injury time, a bout of patient passing by East Kerry that seemed to be going nowhere ended with a tremendous shot to the far corner from Fintan Coffey to tie the scores and send the game to extra time; 4-13 to 2-19.

The sides swapped points during the first period of extra time with St Brendans emerging a point to the good 4-16 to 2-21 and still looking the most likely to succeed.

The sides had swapped points once again as we headed into the final period and then Kerry Minor, David Clifford who had just been introduced goaled with his first touch to put East Kerry ahead for the first time and when Dara Roche and Anthony Kennedy followed with points the game had finally been decided.

Scorers: East Kerry: Jack Sherwood 1-5, Dara Roche 0-6 (0-3 frees), Jeff O’Donoghue 0-5 (0-1 45), Ronan Buckley 0-3, David Clifford and Fintan Coffey 1-0 each, Evan Cronin 0-2, Anthony Kennedy, Brian O’Donoghue, Kieran Murphy, 0-1 each. St Brendans: Shane O’Connor 2-3, Ivan Parker (0-1 free) and David O’Callaghan (0-1 free) 1-4 each, Kevin Shanahan 0-2, David Griffin, Michael Griffin, Brendan Poff, George Bastable, 0-1 each.