U21 Q Final: East Kerry 2-10 (16) South Kerry 3-04 (13) 2017-06-28 22:57:00

County U21 Championship – Round 2/Quarter Final - Wednesday 28th June 2017

East Kerry  2-10 (16) South Kerry 3-04 (13)

Played in Rathmore, East Kerry progressed to the Semi Final of the Acorn Life County U21 Championship after a fast paced, exciting and strongly fought game between two evenly matched teams. Both sides gave great team performances throughout the field. A stand out performance by East Kerry goal keeper Shane Ryan, with accurate kick outs, great saves denying South Kerry goals and a number of long range points from place ball together with the sides point scoring ability maintained the home sides lead at crucial times in the game. A very strong South Kerry defence rebuffed numerous East Kerry attacks, their goal keeper, Eoin O’Sullivan, denied the home side a number of goals and their forwards ablity to find the net kept the game in the melting pot to the final whistle.  


While South Kerry got off to the stronger start, winning the throw in and creating scoring chances. However, East Kerry were first on the scoreboard, in the fifth minute, with a Dean Fitzgerald point. Ian Roche followed within a minute, provided by the industrious Paudie Clifford. South Kerry responded immediately and were denied a goal with a great save by Shane Ryan. A Paudie Clifford point saw the home side 3 points ahead 11 minutes into the game. South Kerry then pressed forward and Dilan O’Donoghue fisted the ball over the bar and followed with a second point, leaving the minimum between the sides going into the second quarter. Both sides created goals opportunities in the next 10 minutes and were denied by the respectie goalkeepers before the sides each notched up 1-1.  A Dean Fitzgerald solo and point from play extended the homesides lead before Paudie Clifford netted the rebounding ball, after 2 great saves by South Kerry goal keeper Eoin O’Sullivan – 1-4 to 0-2, with 19 minutes on the clock. South Kerry made changes and brought on Luke O’Shea and the visitors reduced the margin to a point on the 25th minute. Diarmuid Keating pointed a free then John Murphy sent a precision pass to  Dilan O’Donoghue. Although goalie Shane Ryan, in an impressive response, reached far and got his fingers to the ball, Dilans’ rasper went to the far corner of the net – 1-4 to 1-3 with 5 minutes to the break. East Kerry increased their lead  3 points before the break, with 2 points from play, Dean Fitzgerald and Fionbhar Murphy on target. Half time score: East Kerry 1-06 South Kerry 1-03.

On resumption, the game continued at pace and both sides brought on fresh legs during the half. South Kerry were unlucky with a number of scoring chances trailing wide before the home side found the target with a welll taken Paudie Cliffod free, on the 40th minute. A  long distance ( 60m apporx) free was ably put over the bar, by Shane Ryan, giving East Kerry a 5 point lead on the 43rd minute 1-08 to 1-03. South Kerry brough on Jim Lynch and immediately reduced the gap to 2 points with a well worked goal. In a great passing movement, involving Dilan O’Donoghue and Diarmuid Keating,  South Kerrys captain, Anthony Cournane, palmed the ball to the net – 1-8 to 2-3. The game was in the melting pot going into the last quarter. East Kerry introduced Ronan Buckley and the side were denied a goal by the South Kerry goalie. The visitors pressed forward, however, the home side quickly turned defence into attack. In a move started with a long upfield solo by Ronan Buckely and involving Paudie Clifford and Matthew Keane, Matthew picked out Shane O’Donoghue. Shane sent a rasper goalwards, which was saved by the South Kerry goal keeper, Eoin O’Sullivan. Shane with lightening reflexes, kicked the rebound which was again saved by the goalie but East Kerry eventually got the ball over the line giving the home side a 5 point cushion. South Kerry pressed forward but the East Kerry defence held out and a great long distance free was pointed by Goalie Shane Ryan 2-9 to 2-3 on the 28th minute. In an exciting  end to the game, Robert Wharton made a surging run forward and his goal attempt was saved by Shane Ryan. However, Jim Lynch pounced, sending the ball to the back of the net and there was just 1 score between the teams. With time running out it Fionbhar Murphy kicked an insurance point for East Kerry, from a nice pass by Mathew Keane. Diarmuid Keating pointed a free for South Kerry bringing the margin back to a single score. However,time ran out and East Kerry  progressed to the semi finals on a final scoreline of EastKerry 2-10 (16) South Kerry 3-4 (13).

Referee: Seamus Mulvihill (St Senans)  

East Kerry Team: Shane Ryan (Rathmore)(0-2f), Josh Flynn (Firies), Dara Lehane (Listry), Shane Courtney (Glenflesk), T J Friel(Rathmore), D J Murphy (Gneeveguilla), Shane O’Donoghue (Firies)(1-0), Fionbhar Murphy (Killarney Legion)(0-2), Dan O’Connell (Fossa), Padraig de Brún (Firies), Paudie Clifford (Fossa)(1-2;1f), Donal Lyne (Killarney Legion), Dean Fitzgerald(Rathmore)(0-3), Rob Leen (Killarney Legion), Ian Roche (Glenflesk)(0-1). Subs used: Matthew Keane (Kilcummin), Ronan Buckley(Listry), Padraig O’Connor (Firies)

Bainisteoir: Jerry O’Sullivan. Roghnóirí: Ger O’Callaghan, Dan Mc Kenna & Aidan O’Mahony    


South Kerry Team: Eoin O’Sullivan (Skellig Rangers)Brian Sugrue (Renard)Shane O’Connor (Piarsaigh na Dromoda)Cian O’Shea (Piarsaigh na Dromoda)Kevin Sheehan (Piarsaigh na Dromoda)Anthony Driscoll (Skellig Rangers)Brendan Murphy (Skellig Rangers)Robert Wharton (Renard)John Murphy (Skellig Rangers)Anthony Cournane (Capt) (St. Marys)(1-0),Diarmuid Keating (Skellig Rangers)(0-2f), Dilan O’Donoghue  (Piarsaigh na Dromoda)(1-2), Andy Quigley (Valentia)Darren Casey (St. Marys)Sam Dwyer (Waterville) Subs used: Luke O’Shea (St. Michaels/Foilmore)Kealan Farrelly (Piarsaigh na Dromoda)(1-0), Jim Lynch ( Valentia)

Bainisteoir: Michael O’ReillyRoghnóirí: John Dwyer & Daniel O’Sullivan Physio: John Teahan